4.02.2013

tuesday




Between Heaven and Hell, Jacek Yerka, 1989


Keeping House

Ignore the mess but
look closely at my kitchen nonetheless
I've planted every clue, my hidden
archaeology, my recipe
a trail of crusts 
and crumbs, of everything 
I did or ate or made, my store
of thoughts, overflowing the careful 
cabinets, pantry chock full 
with canisters of want
cups with which to measure
my wilted afternoon of flowers
in a vase, and eggshells, dream bits
lipstick rims on leftover 
milk in a glass, the ring
from the bottom of a pot, and only drips
to show what Tuesday was about
or Friday or probably tomorrow
for that matter, I am afraid
that this is who I am, my story may never be
cleaner or better, never prettier
than it is right here today, told by
a used napkin on my cluttered, littered 
spattered kitchen countertop

--smh



Check out The Mag 
for more responses to this fascinating prompt...