10.17.2013

thursday







Immigration Reform

I want to learn Spanish, I feel
it’s the right thing to do, living
here among the lizards, the cactus
spines, the land of rocks and sun
and stings, the lank and curl
of snakes and everywhere sharp edges

Spanish is soft, Spanish rolls
off their tongues, lolls around my yard
making itself at home, working
while I watch
they rake and weed, heads wrapped up
against the sun, probably talking about me
I think, and who could blame them

Of course they’re talking
of their own lives, homes and weeds
sons playing ball, TVs
they talk of work and songs, dreams
and daughters, gardens, dinners
dogs, their mothers, cars and death
and yesterday, last night
week after next

But if I learned it, would they tell me
what they think about it all, would there
be a fence, a wall between us
could we become friends
or could I never speak that Spanish
theirs from birth, mine from a book or worse
a menu, even if I learn to say it all
correctly, get the accent right, hop up
in back of their truck, tie on
a bandana and ride

to the next yard and the next yard
and the next, laugh at all their jokes
would we ever laugh together?

I would like to tell them what I want
instead I watch them from my window
weeding in Spanish, their easy flow
of words a soft cool drink
their rakes cutting line after line
in the sand between us

--smh