1.09.2013






image by Daniel Murtagh


Unfinished


I have loved you at first sight, and second glance
and every chance that I could get

Loved you from across the room, in hallways
under street lights, trees, the moon

Loved you across time zones, miles
by keyboard, mailbox, minutes on my phone

Loved you on white sheets, green grass, bus seats
on avenues, in parking lots and parks

Loved you on cold walks, and in hot places
in your hands and arms, by memory and eye to eye

Loved you all the way from brown 
to gray, too young, too old, and at wrong times

Loved you with one breath, one laugh, my voice
and all my words, my whisper and my cry

Loved you with my secret self, as I walked by
and in your car, and as you drove away, your tail lights

Loved you, waiting days and weeks
through years, by nights, and as we came around again 
or as we went, and still --

I have not loved you quite enough
not all the way, and not complete

Not loved you right until the end, through our last beat 
and with my every bit, all in, time fully spent, at least --

not yet.


--smh



This poem is a Magpie Tale...
to explore other ideas, click here